Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Topless Beaches
RMM Message Board > RateMyMelons.com > Shoot The Breeze
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Lynette
As many of you already know, I grew up in a place where women being topless on a beach was no big deal. Almost everywhere I've been outside the US, it's that way too. Personally, except when I was in the US for school and such, I've never worn a top on any beach. Here on the isalnd where I live women walk up and down the beaches topless all the time. Nobody except maybe overly religious types seem to mind.
I could never understand why Americans seem to think boobs are such a bad thing when the rest of the world seems to be open to admiring them even in public. In the states, if a guy walks up to you on the beach and says "nice breasts" (even with a top on) most women will act genuinely pissed or embarrassed. Here, women just say thank you, take it as a compliment, and go on their way.
So, is being topless on public beaches a good thing? Bad thing? Or, what?And.why does American society seem to think it's so bad? Is it because when the English people(religious based puritans) who left England and settled in America brought all those old religious based principles with them? And to this day they've stuck? If so, it seems a shame that after two hundred years, American society hasn't been able to shed something like the sight of some bare breasts on a beach is a bad thing.
*KIISES*
Isaac_Putin
QUOTE(Lynette @ Mar 25 2006, 01:03 PM)

So, is being topless on public beaches a good thing? Bad thing? Or, what?And.why does American society seem to think it's so bad? Is it because when the English people(religious based puritans) who left England and settled in America brought all those old religious based principles with them? And to this day they've stuck? If so, it seems a shame that after two hundred years, American society hasn't been able to shed something like the sight of some bare breasts on a beach is a bad thing.
                                                          *KIISES*

I don't know why people have to wear bottoms either. Quite frankly, if it's a hot day on the beach, what's the point of a swimsuit at all? 08.gif

America has a problem with nudity because this is the country all the prudes fled to when their countries of origin weren't uptight enough for them - never mind religious persecution. Examples were the Puritans (anyone remember the "Scarlet Letter"?) and Calvinists (an offshoot of whom now protests military funerals because America is too "gay friendly"). puke1.gif

And remember the classic definition of a "Prude" - Someone who has trouble sleeping at night because he JUST KNOWS that someone somewhere at there is having fun. bang.gif
closeup
This is an excellent topic, but I think you two have pretty much covered it. The only thing I would add is that tits are tits whether they're on the beach or in the office or where ever. Even though a woman laying out topless isn't thinking about sex or turning-on bystanders, if she's got a nice rack that's exactly what a guy is thinking about. A guy could be at a strip club, five or six topless girls on stage, and when the non-topless waitress bends over to serve your beer, we're gonna be checking out her cleavage. It's the main reason for this whole website. You won't see a site called RateMyElbow.
foghorn
QUOTE(Lynette @ Mar 25 2006, 01:03 PM)
     As many of you already know, I grew up in a place where women being topless on a beach was no big deal. Almost everywhere I've been outside the US, it's that way too. Personally, except when I was in the US for school and such, I've never worn a top on any beach. Here on the isalnd where I live women walk up and down the beaches topless all the time. Nobody except maybe overly religious types seem to mind.
     I could never understand why Americans seem to think boobs are such a bad thing when the rest of the world seems to be open to admiring them even in public. In the states, if a guy walks up to you on the beach and says "nice breasts" (even with a top on) most women will act genuinely pissed or embarrassed. Here, women just say thank you, take it as a compliment, and go on their way.
                                                          *KIISES*

if you're on the beach there ain't nothing wrong with it love-smiley-085.gif
UncleBuck
I personally won't go on a beach unless I can go "topless"

tongue.gif tongue.gif

[attachmentid=16588]
randalthor
Lynette,

You on a beach topless is ALWAAYS a good thing....

As far as why they're not popular in the US.....well remember this country WAS founded by Puritans escaping religious persecution sooo......
Lynette
QUOTE(closeup @ Mar 25 2006, 11:04 PM)
This is an excellent topic, but I think you two have pretty much covered it. The only thing I would add is that tits are tits whether they're on the beach or in the office or where ever. Even though a woman laying out topless isn't thinking about sex or turning-on bystanders, if she's got a nice rack that's exactly what a guy is thinking about. A guy could be at a strip club, five or six  topless girls on stage, and when the non-topless waitress bends over to serve your beer, we're gonna be checking out her cleavage. It's the main reason for this whole website. You won't see a site called RateMyElbow.

Oh, I'm quite sure that guys are thinking it when I'm on the beach (I notice through my sunglasses when they're staring at me. Why else would my nipples get hard in 90 degree weather?). It doesn't bother me at all. I figure if it weren't good to look at... I'd have to worry. If they stop staring I'll be concerned about mysekf or them. But, what's wrong with that. Is American society so anal that they're concerned with what a man might think? What's next? Thought police? Since when is a man's lustful thoughts something to be discouraged? If that were so, every guy in the country would be arrested. LOL!
closeup
QUOTE(Lynette @ Mar 27 2006, 04:42 PM)
     Oh, I'm quite sure that guys are thinking it when I'm on the beach (I notice through my sunglasses when they're staring at me. Why else would my nipples get hard in 90 degree weather?). It doesn't bother me at all. I figure if it weren't good to look at... I'd have to worry. If they stop staring I'll be concerned about mysekf or them. But, what's wrong with that. Is American society so anal that they're concerned with what a man might think? What's next? Thought police? Since when is a man's lustful thoughts something to be discouraged? If that were so, every guy in the country would be arrested. LOL!

Could you just stand there on the beach causally talking to some guy if he developed a big boner while you were there. Without it being a distraction? What if the guy wasn't attractive or completly not your type? As much as nude bodies aren't nessasarily always sexual, a hard-on is. So aren't stiff nipples. Not that I think there's anything wrong with it but I imagine most woman wouldn't stick around talking to some strange guy on a topless beach if he walked up with a boner and a smile.
Lynette
QUOTE(closeup @ Mar 27 2006, 05:09 PM)
Could you just stand there on the beach causally talking to some guy if he developed a big boner while you were there. Without it being a distraction? What if the guy wasn't attractive or completly not your type? As much as nude bodies aren't nessasarily always sexual, a hard-on is. So aren't stiff nipples. Not that I think there's anything wrong with it but I imagine most woman wouldn't stick around talking to some strange guy on a topless beach if he walked up with a boner and a smile.

Well, I'm guessing that you've never been on a topless beach from the sound of your comments. Oh, I'm sure guys look at me with a lustful little voice in their heads when I'm on the beach. But, I meet men on the beach all the time and I've never had that kind of a problem wwhile standing around carrying on a conversation with them. I've never seen a guy on the beach with a boner protruding in his shorts (at least not an obvious one).There's an etequette that both men and women tend to follow when on a topless beach. Women don't shake their tits in another woman's man's face, and men don't overtly oggle or make lewd comments. That's just the way it is. Most all women would automatically brand a guy with an obvious boner on the beach as a creep.
As for hard nipples... I don't consider them to be the same as a hard dick in public. We girls can always claim hard nips are the result of the cool, ocean breeze or something. Believe it or not, erect nipples aren't always the result of being sexually aroused.
Bobaloo
QUOTE(Lynette @ Mar 28 2006, 10:15 AM)
     Well, I'm guessing that you've never been on a topless beach from the sound of your comments. Oh, I'm sure guys look at me with a lustful little voice in their heads when I'm on the beach. But, I meet men on the beach all the time and I've never had that kind of a problem wwhile standing around carrying on a conversation with them. I've never seen a guy on the beach with a boner protruding in his shorts (at least not an obvious one).There's an etequette that both men and women tend to follow when on a topless beach. Women don't shake their tits in another woman's man's face, and men don't overtly oggle or make lewd comments. That's just the way it is. Most all women would automatically brand a guy with an obvious boner on the beach as a creep.
     As for hard nipples... I don't consider them to be the same as a hard dick in public. We girls can always claim hard nips are the result of the cool, ocean breeze or something. Believe it or not, erect nipples aren't always the result of being sexually aroused.

That is a super hot pic. My god!!! If I was at the same beach you were at I would be one of the guys branded as a creep for sure!!
closeup
You're right, I have never been to a topless beach. I guess like most situations there's a right way and a wrong way to act. That being said, getting hard isn't much of a voluntary act, I can imagine a lot of guys end up embarassed.
The picture above is Exhibit A, seeing you spilling out of the top of your bikini is really hot and hard to look away from. You've really got the goods and know how to show them off.
Lynette
I still have never heard an acceptable explaination for America's childish view of bare breasts on public beaches. I'm sorry, but it sure seems that American society is lightyears behind te rest of the civilized world when it comes to this subject. It's a shame too. Iheard from one guy that it would hurt th strip club industry. I don't think that's a rational reason. Do you???
Bobaloo
QUOTE(Lynette @ Mar 30 2006, 10:36 AM)
    I still have never heard an acceptable explaination for America's childish view of bare breasts on public beaches. I'm sorry, but it sure seems that American society is lightyears behind te rest of the civilized world when it comes to this subject. It's a shame too. Iheard from one guy that it would hurt th strip club industry. I don't think that's a rational reason. Do you???

Because everyone is about themselves in America. It's not, wow, that girl has a nice body and she's trying to avoid tan lines. Here people say, I don't believe she's just flaunting herself around.. I'm so offended. Poor me, poor me. We have a way of being ridiculously conservative. One has to bo so super aware and considerate of every single other person or you risk offending someone or some group and then you make headlines and then you're a public enemy. American society thrives in scandal, which is probably perpetuated by news media and our fascination with gossip. Behavior out of the norm = scandal for some people. for others it's not a big deal. But it's not a good story to talk about the people who are not complaining.

That's my take on it. This post is more like a run-on thought than anything coherent. I hope it makes some sense to you.
evade20
QUOTE(UncleBuck @ Mar 26 2006, 04:15 PM)
I personally won't go on a beach unless I can go "topless"

tongue.gif  tongue.gif

[attachmentid=16588]

The problem with beaches... laughing-smiley-017.gif
Lynette
QUOTE(Bobaloo @ Mar 30 2006, 10:47 AM)
Because everyone is about themselves in America.  It's not, wow, that girl has a nice body and she's trying to avoid tan lines.  Here people say, I don't believe she's just flaunting herself around.. I'm so offended.  Poor me, poor me.  We have a way of being ridiculously conservative.  One has to bo so super aware and considerate of every single other person or you risk offending someone or some group and then you make headlines and then you're a public enemy.  American society thrives in scandal, which is probably perpetuated by news media and our fascination with gossip.  Behavior out of the norm = scandal for some people.  for others it's not a big deal.  But it's not a good story to talk about the people who are not complaining.

That's my take on it.   This post is more like a run-on thought than anything coherent.  I hope it makes some sense to you.

Somehow, I get the feeling that there's are super powerful, religious, conservative groups in the US that either have the ear of politicians, or actually have the ability to pull strings in the government in the name of "God". These groups have their own moral standards and actually believe they have the right (and moral obligation) to control and manipulate everyone into their way of thinking. The so-called separation between church and state in America has become a joke to the rest of the world. Like most religiously based organizations they feel they can do whatever they wish and justify it with the bible. They are the biggest hypocrites the world has ever produced. Right or wrong, anything can be justified by biblical interpretation. The truly sad thing is that they make life so miserable for the vast majority by supposing they know what's best for everyone, then putting plans into action to attempt to create a society that is more to "their" liking. Majority rule in the states is completely at risk now, and there dosn't seem to be anyone stepping up to combat this ultra-conservative movement. The fact that the American president is a self-proclaimed "born again" chritian sure doesn't help either. How in the world can anyone believe that this man is able to make important decisions without his ultra-religious convictions getting in the way? There IS something wrong here. These are the types of people who think that women who want to just sunbath topless are doing something wrong. You can't believe some of the things I've heard coming out of the mouths of typical republican women on this subject, "they don't have any respect for themselevs, they are all sluts and whores, they should be arrested, they ought to be tattooed to show everyone how immoral they are". Try bsome of those comments on for size, but cosider that most of them are coming from church ladies who are either old or just not very pleasent looking.
It's all just a shame.

*KISS*
diane26
QUOTE(Lynette @ Mar 30 2006, 10:22 AM)
     Somehow, I get the feeling that there's are super powerful, religious, conservative groups in the US that either have the ear of politicians, or actually have the ability to pull strings in the government in the name of "God". These groups have their own moral standards and actually believe they have the right (and moral obligation) to control and manipulate everyone into their way of thinking. The so-called separation between church and state in America has become a joke to the rest of the world. Like most religiously based organizations they feel they can do whatever they wish and justify it with the bible. They are the biggest hypocrites the world has ever produced. Right or wrong, anything can be justified by biblical interpretation. The truly sad thing is that they make life so miserable for the vast majority by supposing they know what's best for everyone, then putting plans into action to attempt to create a society that is more to "their" liking. Majority rule in the states is completely at risk now, and there dosn't seem to be anyone stepping up to combat this ultra-conservative movement. The fact that the American president is a self-proclaimed "born again" chritian sure doesn't help either. How in the world can anyone believe that this man is able to make important decisions without his ultra-religious convictions getting in the way? There IS something wrong here. These are the types of people who think that women who want to just sunbath topless are doing something wrong. You can't believe some of the things I've heard coming out of the mouths of typical republican women on this subject, "they don't have any respect for themselevs, they are all sluts and whores, they should be arrested, they ought to be tattooed to show everyone how immoral they are". Try bsome of those comments on for size, but cosider that most of them are coming from church ladies who are either old or just not very pleasent looking.
     It's all just a shame.

*KISS*

Reading the first few lines of this post, Look at the election it aint hard to put two and two together.

Bush was told by many Christians he was the closest thing to God we could have as a leader.

As far as my thoughts I don't care either way,

BUt I dont think all beaches should be nude so that parents have a choice as to which one they want to take there kids to, we shouldnt have to be forced to take a pre teens to a nude beach. There should be a choice.
diane26
On another not as well I just thought about I surely dont think underage girls should be running around topless or naked either human curioisty especially when it is not the norm like here in the states people are gonna look, how many of us don't look ??

With that I think having nude beaches where teen and preteen girls are running around naked is setting up a breeding ground for pedophiles. No grow person regardless should be looking at underage children naked so I surely dont think that should be allowed.
Gnappster
QUOTE(diane26 @ Mar 30 2006, 11:58 AM)
On another not as well I just thought about I surely dont think underage girls should be running around topless or naked either human curioisty especially when it is not the norm like here in the states people are gonna look, how many of us don't look ??

With that I think having nude beaches where teen and preteen girls are running around naked is setting up a breeding ground for pedophiles. No grow person regardless should be looking at underage children naked so I surely dont think that should be allowed.

I agree with you on that point.
But the second they turn 18, they're fair game! drinkup.gif
thenewguy
Maybe all topless beaches should just be 18+ for age limits to give adults some freedom but protect kids?

I don't mind topless beaches at all, but like everyone else said- I wouldn't take my young kids to them. But I would definatley go myself.
diane26
Yes 18 and up I could support. And I dont care who wants to come say we shelter children smilio00.gif smilio00.gif smilio00.gif smilio00.gif I am a pretty laid back mom and go with the theory life is rated R so I am not OVERLY protective of them, but as there parent it is UP TO ME how I want to raise them and I should have the right to do just that.
penelope
QUOTE(diane26 @ Mar 30 2006, 02:15 PM)
Yes 18 and up I could support. And I dont care who wants to come say we shelter children  smilio00.gif  smilio00.gif  smilio00.gif  smilio00.gif  I am a pretty laid back mom and go with the theory life is rated R so I am not OVERLY protective of them, but as there parent it is UP TO ME how I want to raise them and I should have the right to do just that.

Totally agree, its not a place for children, I have been to a couple and on the whole its nice, enjoyable and very relaxed, people just wanting to enjoy the sun on the whole of their body. BUT you do get those who are obviously there with a more perverted idea, i.e. one time we were happily sunbathing and chatting naked on the beach, looked up and only 20 feet away was a guy 'eating' the woman he was with!!! Not even a vague attempt to be discreet. Sorry, but that is SOOOOOOOOO WRONG!
I'm pretty relaxed as a parent too, but I think innocence should be preserved where possible, but I also think that those of us that know the truth of life must say 'there is a risk, and we should therefore minimalise it'. Ergo, kids don't belong on nudist beaches.

On a lighter note, the funniest time on a nudist beach is when a young policeman and woman approached us, they were extremely polite, and quite chatty, and were there to inform us that a mine had been found just off the coast, and would shortly be detonated under a controlled explosion, and not to worry. As I recall I think we made a few funny comments about big 'bangs' and off they went. I must applaude his ability to never lose eye contact, and make it look effortless, and both of them for not seeming embarassed at all!!!
UncleBuck
We have been to many topless beach's ...with our kids as well ..our son the first day was a little shocked but it was something that after the first day wasn't a issue anymore, it didn't bother him or our daughter.
If we didn't make nudity so taboo over here it wouldn't be an issue. Being nude is normal.. and this may ruffle some feathers but I think we may have less of a problem with pedophile fuckers if we didn't make such a big deal out of nudity... in the meantime they would be easy to spot on the nude beach and therefore easier to take out guns.gif (I have absolutely zero tolerance for pedophiles they are the lowest life form)
I think we have to get over the stigma of nudes..it is funny that most of us have a European background but they seem to have evolved quicker than we have in that sense. To me and the whif nudity isn't a big deal

I say people get over it, be proud , be nude , we ALL are under our clothes

smilio00.gif smilio00.gif
Gnappster
QUOTE(UncleBuck @ Mar 30 2006, 01:37 PM)
We have been to many topless beach's ...with our kids as well ..our son the first day was a little shocked but it was something that after the first day wasn't a issue anymore, it didn't bother him or our daughter.
If we didn't make nudity so taboo over here it wouldn't be an issue. Being nude is normal.. and this may stir some feathers but I think we may have less problem with pedophile fuckers if we didn't make such a big deal out of nudity... in the meantime they would be easy to spot on the nude beach and therefore easier to take out  guns.gif  (I have absolutely zero tolerance for pedophiles they are the lowest life form)
I think we have to get over the stigma of nudes..it is funny that most of us  have a European background but they seem to have evolved quicker than we have in that sense. To me and the whif nudity isn't a big deal

I say people get over it,  be proud , be nude , we all are under our clothes

smilio00.gif  smilio00.gif

*looks in pants* Ack! He's right! smilio05.gif
mountainlust
I was talking with my friend just the other day about women being topless. I said that women should just start walking around everywhere (not just beaches) with their tops off (i think this was a tangent conversation about breastfeeding). I said that if it just started happening, sure there would be considerable reaction for a while, but slowly people would get used to it and it would become a norm.

A man can dream, can't he?

food-smiley-004.gif food-smiley-004.gif
diane26
QUOTE(UncleBuck @ Mar 30 2006, 12:37 PM)
If we didn't make nudity so taboo over here it wouldn't be an issue. Being nude is normal.. and this may ruffle some feathers but I think we may have less of a problem with pedophile fuckers if we didn't make such a big deal out of nudity... in the meantime they would be easy to spot on the nude beach and therefore easier to take out  guns.gif  (I have absolutely zero tolerance for pedophiles they are the lowest life form)
I think we have to get over the stigma of nudes..it is funny that most of us  have a European background but they seem to have evolved quicker than we have in that sense. To me and the whif nudity isn't a big deal

I say people get over it,  be proud , be nude , we ALL are under our clothes

smilio00.gif  smilio00.gif

Pedophiles are attracted to young children nude or not that is what they are attracted to so allowing nudity I do not see how that will lesson pedophiles.

America was established what 200 something years ago as opposed to the thousands of years other countries have been established that might be why we are behind on times.

But regardless we each should be fit to parent how we feel best if you are ok trotting the kiddos around the nudie beach than that is on you but the other parents that are not OK with it like myself should have the option to take my children to the beach and not have to worry about it.

Also Majority of sex crimes have little to do with a naked body and mainly have to do with a Control/Mental issue so not seeing people naked solves nothing.
natalie
QUOTE(Lynette @ Mar 30 2006, 01:22 PM)
     It's all just a shame.

*KISS*

I don't see how majority rule is at risk when the majority of people don't go to church, don't believe in religion or go for social status more then anything else. Corruption of government and people high in power is what puts it at risk. I know you probably don't know this but the U.N. is trying to kick all religious groups i.e. the Vatican out of their meetings and agendas because the whole world is well aware of how hypocritical and corrupt religions reputation has been. The world is changing. Look at how many old grannies do sexy ads and are MTV videos. Don't worry it will come it will come. nah.gif
Lynette
That maybe all true, but it's this powerful "moral" minority who works the system from within and is so well organizd now that they seem much bigger than they really are. Look at the nature of the complaints against Howard Stern to the FCC. Less than 7,000 complaints out of millions of listeners. But, they're SO vocal that the agency feels obligated to take action and fine him and his company to the point where the guy moves to another venue in order to maintain his first ammendment writes. This is FAR from the only example of well organized campaigns orcestrated by the moral minority in America proving that they think they know what's best for you and me. Personally, I resent them pushing their beliefs down my throat by "working" government officals to administer their agendas.
natalie
QUOTE(Lynette @ Mar 30 2006, 07:43 PM)
That maybe all true, but it's this powerful "moral" minority who works the system from within and is so well organizd now that they seem much bigger than they really are. Look at the nature of the complaints against Howard Stern to the FCC. Less than 7,000 complaints out of millions of listeners. But, they're SO vocal that the agency feels obligated to take action and fine him and his company to the point where the guy moves to another venue in order to maintain his first ammendment writes. This is FAR from the only example of well organized campaigns orcestrated by the moral minority in America proving that they think they know what's best for you and me. Personally, I resent them pushing their beliefs down my throat by "working" government officals to administer their agendas.

Well I'm definitely there with you about what they do to Howard. I mean how hard is it to turn the chanel? I personally think the whole moral thing is a sham. I bet those who proclaim themselves righteous the loudest have the dirtest closets.
UncleBuck
QUOTE(Lynette @ Mar 30 2006, 07:43 PM)

What she said
Isaac_Putin
QUOTE(diane26 @ Mar 30 2006, 06:07 PM)
Pedophiles are attracted to young children nude or not that is what they are attracted to so allowing nudity I do not see how that will lesson pedophiles.

America was established what 200 something years ago as opposed to the thousands of years other countries have been established that might be why we are behind on times.

But regardless we each should be fit to parent how we feel best if you are ok trotting the kiddos around the nudie beach than that is on you but the other parents that are not OK with it like myself should have the option to take my children to the beach and not have to worry about it.
Also Majority of sex crimes have little to do with a naked body and mainly have to do with a Control/Mental issue so not seeing people naked solves nothing.

I have been to plenty of different nude beaches, so let me clarify a few things:

1. True nudists think of a nude beach as no more sexual than a beach that requires swimsuits. For that reason, nudists do not feel like they are exposing their children to either sexual attention or pedophiles on nude beaches. And in the vast majority of cases, they are correct. There is very little overt sexual activity on nude beaches, and anyone who acted suspicious around little children would be very quickly overwhelmed and cordoned off/kicked off by the nudist beach regulars.

2. There are not a lot of children on nude beaches anyway. The reason usually is that there are actually VERY FEW nude beaches in the United States. So, it takes a lot of logistical planning to get to a nude beach in the first place. They are usually off the beaten path, and require an extra mile's walk down from the "regular" beach. Too much trouble to take kids with you when it is a physical pain to get to the nude beach yourself.

3. Nude beaches in the U.S. are an infinitessimal fraction of the number of total beaches. I would guess the percentage is like .01%. Not 1%, mind you but 1/100th of that. So, the idea of a parent being forced to subject their children to nude people on the beach is "hypothetical". The odds of it happening are a statistical impossibility.

4. In Europe there is much more nudity/toplessness on the beaches. Examples are Denmark, Germany, and Croatia. However, the attitude toward nudity in general in these countries is much more blase than here. It's not considered shocking or titillating there, as opposed to here. As I stated earlier, this is the country that was founded by the strictest denominations of Christian churches in western Europe.

5. The U.S. is still much more liberal on this issue than Muslim countries, such as Iran, Egypt, many parts of Indonesia, etc. In those countries, you have segregated beaches - men and women not even allowed to mix. And when women do go to the beach, it is not in a swimsuit, but a veil, and head-to-toe clothing. So, things could be a hell of a lot worse.
rackman
QUOTE(natalie @ Mar 30 2006, 06:45 PM)
I don't see how majority rule is at risk when the majority of people don't go to church, don't believe in religion or go for social status more then anything else. Corruption of government and people high in power is what puts it at risk. I know you probably don't know this but the U.N. is trying to kick all religious groups i.e. the Vatican out of their meetings and agendas because the whole world is well aware of how hypocritical and corrupt religions reputation has been. The world is changing. Look at how many old grannies do sexy ads and are MTV videos. Don't worry it will come it will come. nah.gif

I'm getting a bit off-topic with this post, but I think you're missing something important here -- the true nature of "majority rule".

Thinking in terms of "majority rule" will lead to an erosion of your individual rights every time. Under "majority rule", you don't have a guaranteed set of individual rights; you have a changing set of rules that is subject to the whim of 50.1% of whoever shows up to vote.

Also, I would argue that "corruption of government" has moved us closer to -- not further from -- majority rule. On the whole, the majority of politicians haven chosen to disregard individual rights in favor of protecting (imaginary) group rights. In other words, politicians would rather do what's popular (majority rule) than do what's right. It's all about getting votes, not upholding the Constitution.

Instead of thinking about "majority rule", focus on "inalienable rights".

To be clear, I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything like that. I'm just presenting my own viewpoint and hopefully providing some food for thought.

Regards.
Lynette
QUOTE(Isaac_Putin @ Mar 31 2006, 12:41 AM)
I have been to plenty of different nude beaches, so let me clarify a few things:

1. True nudists think of a nude beach as no more sexual than a beach that requires swimsuits.  For that reason, nudists do not feel like they are exposing their children to either sexual attention or pedophiles on nude beaches.  And in the vast majority of cases, they are correct.  There is very little overt sexual activity on nude beaches, and anyone who acted suspicious around little children would be very quickly overwhelmed and cordoned off/kicked off by the nudist beach regulars.

2. There are not a lot of children on nude beaches anyway.  The reason usually is that there are actually VERY FEW nude beaches in the United States.  So, it takes a lot of logistical planning to get to a nude beach in the first place.  They are usually off the beaten path, and require an extra mile's walk down from the "regular" beach.  Too much trouble to take kids with you when it is a physical pain to get to the nude beach yourself.

3. Nude beaches in the U.S. are an infinitessimal fraction of the number of total beaches.  I would guess the percentage is like .01%.  Not 1%, mind you but 1/100th of that.  So, the idea of a parent being forced to subject their children to nude people on the beach is "hypothetical".  The odds of it happening are a statistical impossibility.

4. In Europe there is much more nudity/toplessness on the beaches.  Examples are Denmark, Germany, and Croatia.  However, the attitude toward nudity in general in these countries is much more blase than here.  It's not considered shocking or titillating there, as opposed to here.  As I stated earlier, this is the country that was founded by the strictest denominations of Christian churches in western Europe.

5. The U.S. is still much more liberal on this issue than Muslim countries, such as Iran, Egypt, many parts of Indonesia, etc.  In those countries, you have segregated beaches - men and women not even allowed to mix.  And when women do go to the beach, it is not in a swimsuit, but a veil, and head-to-toe clothing.  So, things could be a hell of a lot worse.

Hmmm. I think I agree with most of what you're trying to say, all though we're not talking about those "isolated" NUDE beaches here. "Public" beaches and just being topless is more what we're about on here. While I have been on several nude beaches myself, and have never had a problem with it... "Top-free" public beaches are an entirely different kind of thing.
As for your comparison to some middle east regions... well, I'm 100% sure that if you were to let the religious right have their way for the next 50 to 80 years, America wouldn't be much different than countries like Iraq morally. Religious fundamentalists are religious fundamentalists regardless of what religion or nationality they represtent. They are people who (for whatever personal reason) have chosen to dedicate their entire time on this planet to the persuit of "SAVING" the world in the name of God. In my personal opinion, they're just plain dangerous when they try to institue influence in politics.
Isaac_Putin
QUOTE(Lynette @ Mar 31 2006, 07:38 AM)
     Hmmm. I think I agree with most of what you're trying to say, all though we're not talking about those "isolated" NUDE beaches here. "Public" beaches and just being topless is more what we're about on here. While I have been on several nude beaches myself, and have never had a problem with it... "Top-free" public  beaches  are an entirely different kind of thing.
     As for your comparison to some middle east regions... well, I'm 100% sure that if you were to let the religious right have their way for the next 50 to 80 years, America wouldn't be much different than countries like Iraq morally. Religious fundamentalists are religious fundamentalists regardless of what religion or nationality they represtent. They are people who (for whatever personal reason) have chosen to dedicate their entire time on this planet to the persuit of "SAVING" the world in the name of God. In my personal opinion, they're just plain dangerous when they try to institue influence in politics.

Lynette,

1. In the U.S. there is no distinction -- almost all "topless" beaches are also nude beaches. With the exception of South Beach in Miami, and some areas in California. Feel free to correct me if you know of others. Therefore, I believe my analogy is appropriate when I describe "public" and "isolated", which can be the same thing. An isolated beach is one that takes a while to get to and is less crowded. But it can still be a public beach.

2. I also brought this up because Diane mentioned people with kids being offended by the the sight of body parts they wouldn't normally see. It seemed to me she was referencing people with NO swimsuit, not just topless.

3. One area that seems to have gotten past this is Canada. Because of the hard work of top-free equality activists (people who think women should be able to go without shirts in public if men can), women in certain areas of Canada can appear almost anywhere in Canada, not just the beach, topless. Good for them.
UncleBuck
QUOTE(Isaac_Putin @ Mar 31 2006, 02:25 PM)
Lynette,

1. In the U.S. there is no distinction -- almost all "topless" beaches are also nude beaches.  With the exception of South Beach in Miami, and some areas in California.  Feel free to correct me if you know of others.  Therefore, I believe my analogy is appropriate when I describe "public" and "isolated", which can be the same thing.  An isolated beach is one that takes a while to get to and is less crowded.  But it can still be a public beach.

2. I also brought this up because Diane mentioned people with kids being offended by the the sight of body parts they wouldn't normally see.  It seemed to me she was referencing people with NO swimsuit, not just topless.

3. One area that seems to have gotten past this is Canada.  Because of the hard work of top-free equality activists (people who think women should be able to go without shirts in public if men can), women in certain areas of Canada can appear almost anywhere in Canada, not just the beach, topless.  Good for them.

eh! its not actually legal up here just isn't made out to be a big deal I think we are more open minded or just don't worry so much about the little things

Are these people bad
[attachmentid=16967]
[attachmentid=16968]
[attachmentid=16969]
[attachmentid=16970]

Just to put a spin on this... rolleyes.gif bang.gif .. don't allow topless beach's where to a certain degree things are controlled but allow and/or not be able to prevent children acess to porn on the internet to check out boobies on a site such as this( or God forbid another site where a donkey might be involved in/or something like that)
I think in the big picture topless beaches are the least of our worries, but remember we are talking topless beach's, full nudity I feel should be private.

unsure.gif just MY thoughts
diane26
Who said people on a topless beach are Bad uncle Buck??? I surely never said that.

Issac, I my posts were my thoughts on it IF it were to become allowed on beaches in the us.

Yes I was talking about full nudity as well. But even topless I would still very much strongly oppose children that have entered the pre puberity and puberity stage until they are of legal age.

I don't care what majority of people are there for and it isnt really fair to compare other countries that have ALWAYS had it this way.

There are A LOT of sick pdeophiles in America. You can go to a site input your adress and see well over 20 registered sex offenders within a few blocks of your home. It is sickening.

We are not a country that has always been raised like this and we are a country with a massive amount of Sexual Predators so to just up and allow something like this and allow those kids in that awkward age I think is asking for a disaster.

I have no problem with things for adults. More power to you. But I think it is WRONG to expose your daughters at lets say 9-17 to such a place.

As far as what kids can access on the net that is why it is a parents job to watch there kids, I watch what mine are allowed to view on the net they don't have free access.

But if the US were to make EVERY beach the option of being nudity or topless than you are taking away my right to choose how to parent my child. If it were to become legal which I don't think it ever would for the simple fact I don;t think a good deal of americans can handle such the freedom ((My opinion)) but if it were to become legal I would hope that they make it like 2 out of every 5 beaches or something so we had the freedom to choose which one we were comfortable taking our kids to.
diane26
QUOTE(UncleBuck @ Mar 31 2006, 11:52 AM)
eh! its not actually legal up here just isn't made out to be a big deal I think we are more open minded or just don't worry so much about the little things

Are these people bad
[attachmentid=16967]
[attachmentid=16968]
[attachmentid=16969]
[attachmentid=16970]
Just to put a spin on this... rolleyes.gif bang.gif  .. don't allow topless beach's where to a certain degree things are controlled but allow and/or not be able to prevent children acess to porn on the internet to check out boobies on a site such as this( or God forbid another site where a donkey might be involved in/or something like that)
I think in the big picture topless beaches are the least of our worries, but remember we are talking topless beach's, full nudity I feel should be private.

unsure.gif just MY thoughts

As for the pics, Ironically it is nothing sexually yet someone felt the need to take topless pics of woman sunbathing on the beach. So woman cant even go out topless and enjoy a day at the beach because you never know what perv is taking your pics of your breasts without your permission.

wink.gif
Isaac_Putin
QUOTE(diane26 @ Mar 31 2006, 04:03 PM)
Who said people on a topless beach are Bad uncle Buck??? I surely never said that.

Issac, I my posts were my thoughts on it IF it were to become allowed on beaches in the us.

Yes I was talking about full nudity as well. But even topless I would still very much strongly oppose  children that have entered the pre puberity and puberity stage until they are of legal age.
I don't care what majority of people are there for and it isnt really fair to compare other countries that have ALWAYS had it this way.

There are A LOT of sick pdeophiles in America. You can go to a site input your adress and see well over 20 registered sex offenders within a few blocks of your home. It is sickening.

We are not a country that has always been raised like this and we are a country with a massive amount of Sexual Predators so to just up and allow something like this and allow those kids in that awkward age I think is asking for a disaster.

I have no problem with things for adults. More power to you. But I think it is WRONG to expose your daughters at lets say 9-17 to such a place.
As far as what kids can access on the net that is why it is a parents job to watch there kids, I watch what mine are allowed to view on the net they don't have free access.

But if the US were to make EVERY beach the option of being nudity or topless than you are taking away my right to choose how to parent my child. If it were to become legal which I don't think it ever would for the simple fact I don;t think a good deal of americans can handle such the freedom ((My opinion)) but if it were to become legal I would hope that they make it like 2 out of every 5 beaches or something so we had the freedom to choose which one we were comfortable taking our kids to.

Diane, the hypothetical situation that you talked about, where most beaches were topless or clothing-optional is so unlikely I don't even think it is worth addressing as a hypothetical. The few beaches that exist now are under constant attack. Either from developers or the self righteous. In another 10 years, you may not have the optional of visiting a clothing optional beach within the United States at all. That's why the scenario you are talking about makes my head spin.

As for children ages 9-17 on these beaches, it's almost as unlikely a hypothetical. That is an age where children are MUCH more self conscious about their bodies and would not (in America at least) be on that type of beach. And nudists never force this stuff on their kids. However, the right wingers who try to close these beaches love to ban children from them. Not necessarily to protect the children, but so that they can classify the beach as an adult "den of iniquity" and close down the clothing-optional status of the beach under that local statute. So, nudists have it in their interests to preserve the beaches as something available for all ages, even if they would not themselves make use of it for their children.

Also, don't fool yourself about the number of predators here vs. other countries. Every week has a report of a multinational ring of predators being broken up. We don't have any more of them than any other country.
Isaac_Putin
QUOTE(diane26 @ Mar 31 2006, 04:06 PM)
As for the pics, Ironically it is nothing sexually yet someone felt the need to take topless pics of woman sunbathing  on the beach. So woman cant even go out topless and enjoy a day at the beach because you never know what perv is taking your pics of your breasts without your permission.

wink.gif

Diane, while people do take pics of women on beaches without their permission, this is considered extremely rude on c/o beaches.

However, if you are on a beach of that type it is the risk you take. I have actually inadvertently ended up with pics of other people on my camera when I was taking a photo of my wife. It wasn't intended but I can't orchestrate the layout of the entire beach to take a couple of photos.
Lynette
Guys, guys, guys... All of a suden we're talking about child molesters, sexual perditors, etc. Geeze! We're talking about grown women on the beach without a bathing suit top on NOT children. Although, I can even remember how many times I've seen small chilren being allowed to frolic on a beach without any suit on. It's totally innocent and the beach should never be considered as a haven for child molesters. Generally the parents are right there to supervise. I fail to see how the subject of anything sexual should even have a place in this discussion. If the government were to make "TOPLESS" sunbathing legal (not nude sunbathing) I'm sure it wouls be a shock and cause some disturbance at first. But, after a short period of time, it wouldn't be anymore objectionalbe than othr parts of the world. Canada has been brought up as an example... it's a good place to start. I've heard about women being top-free there at will in various location. NOTHING bad happens because of it. They're just boobs, that's all. And, that's all they'd be on any beach in the states. I'm on beaches here all the time topless infront of visiting teenage tourist boys, and I doubt that the sight of my bare tits on the beach are going to (or have) caused any of them to come down with any type of negative, sexual, or emotional problems. They pass by and look shyly. That's about it. Some sneak a quick snapshot with their camera (but so do their dads LOL) No harm, no foul. To them it's a unique sight. THAT'S the key! A "unique" sight. If it were made commonplace in America... it wouldn't be unique at all. It would be (dare I say it?)--- NORMAL. To equate boobs on a beach with all kinds of sexual pervertions is just wrond (in my humble opinion).
juicyboobs
I have avoided saying anything so as not to offend, but topless beaches in europe are NOT a sexual arena!

It is just a personal choice, families, singles couples most beaches pool are a mix of all, this is just how it is. And sorry guys to be truthfull more about tan lines than turning you on.

your body is a natural thing and i am not meaning nude beaches, but its only showing skin. Truly i believe a guy would be as turned on by a fit bikini body or a topless bikini body and in any case there is a code of conduct... sunglasses for leering i think.

not disagreeing with any opinions just stating that its more commonplace and run of the mill in european resorts.
natalie
QUOTE(rackman @ Mar 31 2006, 04:17 AM)
I'm getting a bit off-topic with this post, but I think you're missing something important here --  the true nature of "majority rule". 

Thinking in terms of "majority rule" will lead to an erosion of your individual rights every time.  Under "majority rule", you don't have a guaranteed set of individual rights; you have a changing set of rules that is subject to the whim of 50.1% of whoever shows up to vote.

Also, I would argue that "corruption of government" has moved us closer to -- not further from -- majority rule.  On the whole, the majority of politicians haven chosen to disregard individual rights in favor of protecting (imaginary) group rights.  In other words, politicians would rather do what's popular (majority rule) than do what's right.  It's all about getting votes, not upholding the Constitution.

Instead of thinking about "majority rule", focus on "inalienable rights". 
To be clear, I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything like that.  I'm just presenting my own viewpoint and hopefully providing some food for thought.

Regards.

lol. I guess I should have stayed away from that topic as politics is not my strong point. I guess i just meant I didn't feel like the government was out to get me or choke my freedoms in anyway but I do live in Canada and have no interest in nude/topless beaches or nudity in general becoming common place. Not that I have anything against it I'm just neither for nor against. I will keep my nose and voice out of everything political from now on. laughing-smiley-017.gif
diane26
QUOTE(Isaac_Putin @ Mar 31 2006, 01:56 PM)
Diane, while people do take pics of women on beaches without their permission, this is considered extremely rude on c/o beaches. 

However, if you are on a beach of that type it is the risk you take.  I have actually inadvertently ended up with pics of other people on my camera when I was taking a photo of my wife.  It wasn't intended but I can't orchestrate the layout of the entire beach to take a couple of photos.

issac I understand that the pics taken were obviously for a reason by judging the main jist of the photo. I also understand its a risk you take like posting on this site as well, I was just saying that if it were true that it has nothing to do with a sexual nature than the pics wouldnt be taken not every person there is there for the right reasons.

I am also not ever worried of it happening in the states I wouldnt oppose it in the conditions I said but I dont see it ever happened.

Times are changing you will find many 13 and up girls that are blossoming early and under the wrong parental guidance being quite happy showing off there body.

As far as the sexual predators I know they are everywhere but I would take a wild guess that the ratio is greater here Per the amount of people.
diane26
QUOTE(Lynette @ Mar 31 2006, 02:34 PM)
Guys, guys, guys... All of a suden we're talking about child molesters, sexual perditors, etc. Geeze! We're talking about grown women on the beach without a bathing suit top on NOT children. Although, I can even remember how many times I've seen small chilren being allowed to frolic on a beach without any suit on. It's totally innocent and the beach should never be considered as a haven for child molesters. Generally the parents are right there to supervise. I fail to see how the subject of anything sexual should even have a place in this discussion. If the government were to make "TOPLESS" sunbathing legal (not nude sunbathing) I'm sure it wouls be a shock and cause some disturbance at first. But, after a short period of time, it wouldn't be anymore objectionalbe than othr parts of the world. Canada has been brought up as an example... it's a good place to start. I've heard about women being top-free there at will in various location. NOTHING bad happens because of it. They're just boobs, that's all. And, that's all they'd be on any beach in the states. I'm on beaches here all the time topless infront of visiting teenage tourist boys, and I doubt that the sight of my bare tits on the beach are going to (or have) caused any of them to come down with any type of negative, sexual, or emotional problems. They pass by and look shyly. That's about it. Some sneak a quick snapshot with their camera (but so do their dads LOL) No harm, no foul. To them it's a unique sight. THAT'S the key! A "unique" sight. If it were made commonplace in America... it wouldn't be unique at all. It would be (dare I say it?)--- NORMAL. To equate boobs on a beach with all kinds of sexual pervertions is just wrond (in my humble opinion).

Lynette with all due respect when wanting a discussion on the topic at hand be prepared for all types of discussion on it.

You do not know what is on the mind of every person at the beach, you also seem to love attention so your views on things going on might be differant than someone else simply wanting to tan without tan lines. The discussion was brought up about the beaches nothing was said about ONLY WOMAN so of course as a mother I am gonna worry about children.

As a child that was molested by three differant men by the time I was 11 and my ((non existent)) breasts were also fondled. I tend to be very aware of how sick people can be especially those you would least suspect. There are differant stages of children and what may be innocent and what might not be so innocent for others around. The great part of a discussion is to see the many views on a subject regardless if we agree or not.
diane26
QUOTE(juicyboobs @ Mar 31 2006, 02:43 PM)
I have avoided  saying anything so as not to offend, but topless beaches in europe are NOT a sexual arena!

It is just a personal choice, families, singles couples most beaches pool are a mix of all, this is just how it is. And sorry guys to be truthfull more about tan lines than turning you on.

your body is a natural thing and i am not meaning nude beaches, but its only showing  skin. Truly i believe a guy would be as turned on by a fit bikini body or a topless bikini body and in any case  there is a code of conduct... sunglasses for leering i think. 

not disagreeing with any opinions just stating that its more commonplace and run of the mill in european resorts.

Juicy I would tend to think that things are differant in other places where it has never been an issue.

It may not be a sexual arena (( I wouldnt even say arena for here in the states )) but anyway it is the norm there and has been for a long time so I doubt there is all the hype. But if one day it were to be allowed everywherre here I would bet the results would not be so innocent. Our people here have never had such. Not even on TV unless you are paying extra for the access.
mountainlust
Are there any topless beaches in England? 08.gif confused-smiley-013.gif
Isaac_Putin
QUOTE(mountainlust @ Mar 31 2006, 09:59 PM)
Are there any topless beaches in England?   08.gif  confused-smiley-013.gif

I thought Brighton Beach in England was supposed to be topless or nude.
rackman
No worries, Natalie! Although I responded to your post, Lynette said the exact same thing: "Majority rule in the states is completely at risk now..."

I'm just trying to get people to realize that "majority rule" is very seldom good for individuals.
Lynette
QUOTE(diane26 @ Mar 31 2006, 08:29 PM)
Lynette with all due respect when wanting a discussion on the topic at hand be prepared for all types of discussion on it.

You do not know what is on the mind of every person at the beach, you also seem to love attention so your views on things going on might be differant than someone else simply wanting to tan without tan lines. The discussion was brought up about the beaches nothing was said about ONLY WOMAN so of course as a mother I am gonna worry about children.

As  a child that was molested by three differant men by the time I was 11 and my ((non existent)) breasts were also fondled. I tend to be very aware of how sick people can be especially those you would least suspect. There are differant stages of children  and what may be innocent and what might not be so innocent for others around. The great part of a discussion is to see the many views on a subject regardless if we agree or not.

Diane,
I am truly sorry to hear about your experiences as a young girl. That kind if thing can never be justified. From the sound of it, you've never been topless on a beach. However, I was talking about what people's notion of what effect seeing naked boobs on the beach might have on children. It's been my experience that children on the beach don't even notice a topless woman (they're usually too busy playing). And when they do, and call thier mother's attention to it, and she says something like "yes, there is isn't there" things go on as normal. It's only a big deal if the adults make it one. I guess I fail to see how women being topless on a beach directly puts children (of any age) in harms-way. This seems to just perpetuate some wierd kind of thought process that ties SEX into everything in modern society.
And, you are right. I certainly do like attention now and then. I'll admit it, even if some women won't. And, I DO prefer to not have tan lines, and always have (call it a cultural thing). But, like I said before on this thread... I was raised in a part of the world where being topless on the beach is a perfectly natural thing, where people generally don't even give it a second look. I'm just trying to get opinions here to clarify why people believe that being topless on the beach is such a bad thing. So far it sounds like America is totally infested with bad people, child molesters, pererts of all kinds, and deviant behaior. Sorry, but I lived in Los Angeles for quite a few years and I don't agree. America is a great place (with it's problems, it's true), but to a person from another country reading this thread, the United States would sound like a very unpleasent place to live.
Please try to keep in mind that anything said in this this (or any other) thread is just my own personal opinion. I'm not trying to preach to anyone, nor am I attempting to push my beliefs off on other people. So, "with all due respect", I'm just trying to get peoples opinions on this subject so that I can better understand what Americans are so uptight about this subject. And, judging by some of the responces here, there are some genuine and obvious personal feelings about it.
diane26
My main concern towards children on said beaches were of the young girls being topless not so much the kids seeing topless woman. I have three sons and I have had them in the shower with me many times I have no problem being nude around them in a cleanly sense?? Like showering changing allthough as they get older I try to be a bit more modest I am sure my son at now almost 10 wants the images of his naked mom in his head so as each one gets older I like to not be so free around them as much for there sake but my youngest who is 4 I still will shower with so I can wash him properly and we can get ready faster, Bleck way off track here but my worries are more the other way around.

I do not think Americans are all these bad people and this and that but we do have a lot of sickos we are a very populated country and comparred to other FREE countries we have a lot of "bad guys". Again when raised a certain way it is differant than all of a sudden throwing it out there, but even so if it were adult beaches I myself would have no problems with it whats so ever.

I am far from an uptight person and yes there are many uptight people here but as someone violated by these pedophiles I will always be on the defense for the children. It's nice to think these kind of people arent in our back yards and stuff but the truth is they are.
UncleBuck
QUOTE(diane26 @ Apr 1 2006, 03:25 PM)
My main concern towards children on said beaches were of the young girls being topless not so much the kids seeing topless woman. I have three sons and I have had them in the shower with me many times I have no problem being nude around them in a cleanly sense?? Like showering changing allthough as they get older I try to be a bit more modest I am sure my son at now almost 10 wants the images of his naked mom in his head so as each one gets older I like to not be so free around them as much for there sake but my youngest who is 4 I still will shower with so I can wash him properly and we can get ready faster, Bleck way off track here but my worries are more the other way around.

I do not think Americans are all these bad people and this and that but we do have a lot of sickos we are a very populated country and comparred to other FREE countries we have a lot of "bad guys". Again when raised a certain way it is differant than all of a sudden throwing it out there, but even so if it were adult beaches I myself would have no problems with it whats so ever.

I am far from an uptight person and yes there are many uptight people here but as someone violated by these pedophiles I will always be on the defense for the children. It's nice to think these kind of people arent in our back yards and stuff but the truth is they are.

d26... love ya to death but how many 10 year old boys do u think log onto rmm and check out the beautiful boobs here?
seeing naked boobs on a public beach is not a huge issue if you do not make a big deal out of it to your children it would never become one.. I have a 14 year son who has been (dare I say) exposed to nude beach's since he was 6 and believe me it never ever caused any concerns, he was told that is just the way some people are and that it is not polite to stare tongue.gif He has never said a thing about it I am sure he enjoys the scenery as much as any red blooded boy would

I would be way more concerned with other influences than nude beach's in our society
love-smiley-077.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.