Rate boobs, big boob pics, natural tits, fake tits, hot tits on hot chicks, it's all about breast and we have the melons to prove it!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages  1 2 > 
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Computer Help

jd ddd40
post May 5 2009, 06:32 AM
Post #1

Double D's

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,439

I need some help/advise. My home computer is messed up keeps saying windows is missing a file. I don't have the disk to repair, so I have to do a reboot which will wipe out over 3000 pictures off my hard drive. Is there anyway to save that or store it some how to retrieve later. I don't know anything about computers, but I don't want to lose all my itunes and all the pictures of me being naughty
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cycle_guy
post May 5 2009, 10:25 AM
Post #2

B Cup

Member No.: 25,221

The simplest thing is probably to purchase an external USB hard drive. You can back up to that before you reinstall the OS. There are some other things you can do, but they require varying degrees of computer skill. You can back up to DVDs which would give you 5+ gig at a whack, but you'd probably need several and it gets to be a PITA. It is possible to do a non-destructive hard disk repartition, but it does carry some risks. That would allow you to leave the good stuff on the drive. It might not even be an option depending on how much free space you have on your drive. If you do have to re-install the OS, let me recommend that you partition your hard disk before you do it so this isn't a problem again. All partitioning does is split the drive into 2 or more separate spaces each identifiable by a drive letter. You can install your OS and program files on the first part and keep all your stored files on another. It's pretty simple to do when you first install an OS, but after it's on there, it get a bit more complicated.
+Quote Post
paybarraman
post May 5 2009, 10:26 AM
Post #3

Our line starts coach?

Member No.: 1,198

QUOTE(jd ddd40 @ May 5 2009, 11:32 AM)
I need some help/advise.  My home computer is messed up keeps saying windows is missing a file.  I don't have the disk to repair, so I have to do a reboot which will wipe out over 3000 pictures off my hard drive. Is there anyway to save that or store it some how to retrieve later. I don't know anything about computers, but I don't want to lose all my itunes and all the pictures of me being naughty

Ok....this is a rather broad problem description.
What files does it say you are missing? Do you mean reinstall the operating system?
A reboot just reatarts the computer, it doesn't necessarily mean you will lose files/pics/music. You may not be able to boot up the computer but the files are still there. If you have to reinstall the OS (operating system) you could do that without losing your files, you just would have to reinstall any applications you had from before.

Have you installed any hardware or software recently?
What operating system is it? Windows 2000? XP? Vista?
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode/Last Known Good Configuration?

If you turn on the computer/power on, press the "F8" function key several times or so, this will trigger a menu to open advising different startup options. The first try should be "Safe Mode" if it wont boot up fully, then try the option "Last Known Good Configuration"

If you can't get the computer to boot up at all to even try those things, you might still be able to rescue data by connecting the hard drive to another machine.

Anyways, there are a lot of things to try to resolve the problem. It just requires more information about the problem you're having. But, in my opinion, unless your Hard Disk has a physical problem, you CAN get the files you want off. It would just require another computer. But that would be a bit down the road.

Shut down or restart the computer, and try to write down the specific error message you are receiving. This will help to try to figure out the best things for you to try. As it is now, I'm just throwing all kinds of options out there cause I don't know just what problem you're having.

--------------------
Ding! There's the bell, who's buyin?

SLAP!!! BAD PAYBARRAMAN!!!

Hello? Hello?.....Is this thing on? user posted image

What is it about Pay that makes me so hot?
Now I know what it is...he is just hot...end of story (misschickie)

+Quote Post
jd ddd40
post May 5 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #4

Double D's

see shows u how little i know about computer. when i turn my computer on it goes right to a blck screen with wht writing it says windows is has a missing or currupded file. theh it says if i installed something new this might have happeded. i didnt install anything, kids might have their not saying. says i need to use my windows vista disk to fix, well i cant find the windows vista disk. called tech support and the said there would be away to get the computer up and running but i would lose all data. i really have like 5000 dollers worth of itunes on there and 2 to 3 thousand pics, most of the kind you guys love. would hate to lose it all
+Quote Post
paybarraman
post May 6 2009, 01:59 AM
Post #5

Our line starts coach?

QUOTE(jd ddd40 @ May 6 2009, 01:28 AM)
see shows u how little i know about computer.  when i turn my computer on it goes right to  a blck screen with wht writing it says windows is has a missing or currupded file. theh it says if i installed something new this might have happeded.  i didnt install anything, kids might have their not saying.  says i need to use my windows vista disk to fix, well i cant find the windows vista disk.  called tech support and the said there would be away to get the computer up and running but i would lose all data.  i really have like 5000 dollers worth of itunes on there and 2 to 3 thousand pics, most of the kind you guys love.  would hate to lose it all

Ok....now we're getting somewhere. "xxxxxxxxx file is either missing or corrupted...."

Get that file name. You may still be able to save your machine. Do you remember if your computer came with a Vista Re-install CD when you got it? Or did it have what they call a "Revcovery Partition"?

If you have the Vista DVD, you can boot the computer from that, then get into what they call "Recovery Console". From there you can access your hard drive and copy the "Missing or corrupted" file from the DVD to your hard drive. It's not always a fix but sometimes it can help. Google "Vista Recovery Console" and you'll get some info on how to get into there.

Still, you should try starting the computer and hitting F8 until you get the screen showing "Safe Mode Safe Mode with Networking etc" and try the "Last Known Good Configuration" option.

Tech support?? Lose the data?? You have other options, albeit a bit more technically involved but you have them. Is this a laptop or a regular tower pc? If it's a tower, you can always remove the Hard drive and connect it to another tower pc running at least windows 2000 or XP. That computer would just see your hard drive as another "disk" ie, F: You could then browse your hard drive and copy all the files you need. Might be time consuming but, if you just cant get the machine going, I would look into it. Especially if you want to save the music and pics.

Just make sure YOU'RE the one doing the file copy. Otherwise someone might get to see a bit more of you than you think they should. ph34r.gif
If you've got a recovery partition, well then it may be tougher.

--------------------

+Quote Post
evade20
post May 6 2009, 02:01 AM
Post #6

Melon Master

Member No.: 11,658

QUOTE(jd ddd40 @ May 5 2009, 08:28 PM)
see shows u how little i know about computer.  when i turn my computer on it goes right to  a blck screen with wht writing it says windows is has a missing or currupded file. theh it says if i installed something new this might have happeded.  i didnt install anything, kids might have their not saying.  says i need to use my windows vista disk to fix, well i cant find the windows vista disk.  called tech support and the said there would be away to get the computer up and running but i would lose all data.  i really have like 5000 dollers worth of itunes on there and 2 to 3 thousand pics, most of the kind you guys love.  would hate to lose it all

Pay is definitely the correct persons to help your. grinning-smiley-003.gif grinning-smiley-003.gif grinning-smiley-003.gif

--------------------
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
Ansel Adams

user posted image
user posted image

The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation.

Pierre Elliott Trudeau
+Quote Post
misschickie
post May 6 2009, 02:11 AM
Post #7

MISCHIEF.MAYHEM.SOAP
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,236

QUOTE(paybarraman @ May 5 2009, 10:59 PM)
Ok....now we're getting somewhere.  "xxxxxxxxx file is either missing or corrupted...."  

Get that file name.  You may still be able to save your machine.  Do you remember if your computer came with a Vista Re-install CD when you got it?  Or did it have what they call a "Revcovery Partition"?

If you have the Vista DVD, you can boot the computer from that, then get into what they call "Recovery Console".  From there you can access your hard drive and copy the "Missing or corrupted" file from the DVD to your hard drive.  It's not always a fix but sometimes it can help.  Google "Vista Recovery Console" and you'll get some info on how to get into there.

Still, you should try starting the computer and hitting F8 until you get the screen showing "Safe Mode    Safe Mode with Networking   etc" and try the "Last Known Good Configuration" option.

Tech support??  Lose the data??  You have other options, albeit a bit more technically involved but you have them.  Is this a laptop or a regular tower pc?  If it's a tower, you can always remove the Hard drive and connect it to another tower pc running at least windows 2000 or XP.  That computer would just see your hard drive as another "disk"  ie, F:  You could then browse your hard drive and copy all the files you need.  Might be time consuming but, if you just cant get the machine going, I would look into it.  Especially if you want to save the music and pics.
Just make sure YOU'RE the one doing the file copy.  Otherwise someone might get to see a bit more of you than you think they should.    ph34r.gif
If you've got a recovery partition, well then it may be tougher.

omg....like...u are really smart and stuff

--------------------
user posted image
the only thing i'll ever ask of you...you gotta promise not to stop when i say when.

do not try to outbitch this bitch...you will not win
+Quote Post
jd ddd40
post May 6 2009, 04:56 AM
Post #8

Double D's

Can't find the disk, ill try the f8 thing. Its a tower, not a lap top. I have another tower that's older and is more of the family computer, so your saying I can use that to recover my files? I hate computers
+Quote Post
paybarraman
post May 6 2009, 10:30 AM
Post #9

Our line starts coach?

QUOTE(jd ddd40 @ May 6 2009, 09:56 AM)
Can't find the disk, ill try the f8 thing.  Its a tower, not a lap top.  I have another tower that's older and is more of the family computer, so your saying I can use that to recover my files?  I hate computers

Yes you could, with a caveat of course. IF both tower computers use what are called IDE connected hard drives - connected from hard drive to motherboard by a "ribbon" cable - and the "family computer" is running at least 2000Pro or XP, OR if both are using SATA hard drives. If they each have a different type of HDD connection - ie the older is IDE and the newer is SATA, then it gets a bit more difficult.

If the both have the same Operating System - Vista Home Premium - then you could try to copy the missing/corrupted file from the old one to the new one with a USB drive or something.

Where you able to find out the name of the missing/corrupted file?

--------------------

+Quote Post
paybarraman
post May 6 2009, 10:34 AM
Post #10

Our line starts coach?

QUOTE(misschickie @ May 6 2009, 07:11 AM)
omg....like...u are really smart and stuff

Ohhhhhhh smilio05.gif

I not so think as you bright I am.....

tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jd ddd40
post May 6 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #11

Double D's

ok message says \windows\systems\winload.exe
sounds like im screwed cause im not going to be able to do all that wasoo stuff u were saying. im going to have to pay some guy, who will then be able to see all my pics, oh boy
+Quote Post
paybarraman
post May 6 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #12

Our line starts coach?

QUOTE(jd ddd40 @ May 6 2009, 03:58 PM)
ok message says \windows\systems\winload.exe
sounds like im screwed cause im not going to be able to do all that wasoo stuff u were saying.  im going to have to pay some guy, who will then be able to see all my pics, oh boy

What about hubby? Is he even just a little bit "handy"? And I mean with tools and fixin stuff. Im sure he's ALL KINDS of handy with you. tongue.gif Honestly, if you can follow instruction then this isn't too difficult. Im gonna search some databases on the specific memory address/error code and see what I can come up with.
linking
Edit:
From what I've found, booting from a Vista DVD/CD and going into "Recovery Console" to run chkdsk looks to correct the problem. You don't need the Vista disk that you used to install or anything, just a Vista disk to boot up the computer from. Then instead of selecting "Install" you select "Repair an Installation using Recovery Console". From there you'll be able to access the "installation" (your C: drive) via the disk and at a command prompt (black screen with C:\ blinking) you run chkdsk.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jd ddd40
post May 6 2009, 06:13 PM
Post #13

Double D's

sure he is handy with tools, but being able to fix the car or do plumbing dosnt mean he knows computers
+Quote Post
misschickie
post May 6 2009, 06:58 PM
Post #14

MISCHIEF.MAYHEM.SOAP
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,236

QUOTE(paybarraman @ May 6 2009, 12:56 PM)
What about hubby?  Is he even just a little bit "handy"?  And I mean with tools and fixin stuff.   Im sure he's ALL KINDS of handy with you.    tongue.gif   Honestly, if you can follow instruction then this isn't too difficult.  Im gonna search some databases on the specific memory address/error code and see what I can come up with.
linking
Edit:
From what I've found, booting from a Vista DVD/CD and going into "Recovery Console" to run chkdsk looks to correct the problem.  You don't need the Vista disk that you used to install or anything, just a Vista disk to boot up the computer from.  Then instead of selecting "Install" you select "Repair an Installation using Recovery Console".  From there you'll be able to access the "installation" (your C: drive) via the disk and at a command prompt (black screen with C:\ blinking) you run chkdsk.

pay....you are turning me on with all this knowledge

sorry, jd...i have no help for you, i just find this totally interesting

--------------------
user posted image
the only thing i'll ever ask of you...you gotta promise not to stop when i say when.

do not try to outbitch this bitch...you will not win
+Quote Post
evade20
post May 6 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #15

Melon Master

QUOTE(jd ddd40 @ May 6 2009, 06:13 PM)
sure he is handy with tools, but being able to fix the car or do plumbing dosnt mean he knows computers

You need to offer Pay a trip to meet you in Las Vegas so that he can snuggle up to your gorgeous melons... love-smiley-085.gif grinning-smiley-003.gif Then he can fix your computer in his spare time...if you let him up for air. tongue.gif laughing-smiley-017.gif

--------------------
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
Ansel Adams

user posted image
user posted image

Pierre Elliott Trudeau
+Quote Post
paybarraman
post May 7 2009, 01:59 AM
Post #16

Our line starts coach?

QUOTE(jd ddd40 @ May 6 2009, 11:13 PM)

Fair enough. The inside of the pc is nothing really. Nowadays they don't even use screws to hold the HDD. Just, usually, a green "slide lock". Slide it one way it locks the drive in place. Slide it the other way it unlocks the drive and you just slide it out. The space you connect the cables is "keyed". Meaning, the connector will only go on one way. Same for the power connector.

I suggest going the "Recovery Console" route first.

This link is for using the Windows XP version of Recovery Console. You can use an XP disc to boot from to access the recovery console.

XP Recovery Console

You could access the "Recovery Environment" the same way with a Vista disc.

Basically that's how you would work it. If the Recovery Option isn't available, try connecting the hard disk to the other computer (if possible).

Without actually having the system right in front of me this is the best I can do JD. Hope it helps. And tell hubby it's not hard to do. It's just connecting the disk and the power supply. Turn the pc on then the operating system does the rest.

Good luck!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
paybarraman
post May 7 2009, 02:11 AM
Post #17

Our line starts coach?

QUOTE(misschickie @ May 6 2009, 11:58 PM)
pay....you are turning me on with all this knowledge

Geez Chickie....had I known all it would take was a little Geek Speak and I'd have been running a Full Diagnostics on your USB slot a LONG time ago!!!!

laughing-smiley-017.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
paybarraman
post May 7 2009, 02:12 AM
Post #18

Our line starts coach?

QUOTE(evade20 @ May 7 2009, 02:44 AM)
You need to offer Pay a trip to meet you in Las Vegas so that he can snuggle up to your gorgeous melons...  love-smiley-085.gif  grinning-smiley-003.gif   Then he can fix your computer in his spare time...if you let him up for air.  tongue.gif  laughing-smiley-017.gif

Were I ever fortunate enough to snuggle up to JD, the LAST thing on my mind would be her computer......

Unless it was connected to a video camera, recording for posterity - and as proof!!!!

laughing-smiley-014.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darkone72
post May 7 2009, 03:28 PM
Post #19

A Cup

Member No.: 30,399

Sounds like pay got it covered... lol us geeks are good at somethings.... computer's = Easy..... Cars and other stuff = WTF!!!
+Quote Post
paybarraman
post May 8 2009, 01:57 AM
Post #20

Our line starts coach?

Well I was fortunate enough to have a dad who was pretty much a jack of all trades so, cars, general contracting, electric, dry wall, yadda yadda yadda.....

If I can find some basic instructions I'll do it.

At 17 I dropped and swapped the drive shaft on my - then - 76 Ford Mustang II. That was fun.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ddd35
post May 8 2009, 09:35 AM
Post #21

Melon Master

Member No.: 14,606

We need to start a SAVE THE 3000 Picture files , for her even if that means paying PAy to fix it for her .
+Quote Post
jd ddd40
post May 8 2009, 02:13 PM
Post #22

Double D's

U guys are so sweet, thanks for all the help. As soon as we get back from vegas we will give it a shot.
So I can try using an xp disk even on vista?
+Quote Post
paybarraman
post May 9 2009, 04:48 PM
Post #23

Our line starts coach?

QUOTE(jd ddd40 @ May 8 2009, 07:13 PM)
U guys are so sweet, thanks for all the help.  As soon as we get back from vegas we will give it a shot. 
So I can try using an xp disk even on vista?

Yep....you'll want to boot the computer from the XP cd. Turn on the pc, put in the XP cd, eventually on the black screen will appear "Press any key to boot from cd." Press any key, it will look like your going to install windows as you go through the whole setup process.

Then you'll arrive to a point where it asks to install a new installation or repair an exisiting installation using recovery console. Select "R" (usually it's R) then it should take you to a black DOS looking screen.

You MAY have to choose and installation - you should see something like
1. C:\Windows

AND it may ask you to enter the "Administrator's Password" - this will be the password for the local "administrator" account.

Once logged in, you'll see the "command prompt"
C:>_

type: help

and you'll get a list of commands

type C:>chkdsk /?
and you'll get all the chkdsk help and switches. You'll look for the switches for repair errors and fix files etc
usually the syntax is C:> chkdsk C: /R /F

Good luck and let me know if it works! grinning-smiley-003.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jd ddd40
post May 19 2009, 03:12 AM
Post #24

Double D's

Still no luck, but I haven't given up just yet.
+Quote Post
evade20
post May 19 2009, 03:19 AM
Post #25

Melon Master

QUOTE(jd ddd40 @ May 19 2009, 03:12 AM)
Still no luck, but I haven't given up just yet.

Be brave and give Pay's advice a try. He definitely knows what he is talking about. grinning-smiley-003.gif

--------------------
Ansel Adams

user posted image
user posted image

Pierre Elliott Trudeau
+Quote Post
jd ddd40
post May 26 2009, 07:30 AM
Post #26

Double D's

Well tried doing the repair without the disk typing in repair and all that. But not working so no computer and no new pics. :,-(
+Quote Post
laurainiaash
post May 27 2009, 09:40 AM
Post #27

A Cup

Member No.: 30,772

QUOTE(jd ddd40 @ May 26 2009, 07:30 AM)
Well tried doing the repair without the disk typing in repair and all that.  But not working so no computer and no new pics.  :,-(

Unfortunately in Vista you can't try what would be called a "2nd repair" like you can in XP. The best way to save all of your data/information would be to do like pay was telling you.

Connect your harddrive to a secondary machine and boot into windows. It would show your HD as another drive letter and normally you can access it and browse your files. You could then copy them all to another harddrive on that computer. For instance, create a new folder and transfer everything to it. Its time consuming sometimes, but effective. Then place the harddrive back inside the computer and reinstall Vista. Once Vista is correctly installed, take your harddrive back out and connect it to the secondary machine. Copy all of your data back to the original harddrive on a folder under the correct user name so you can find it later. Once again, take your harddrive out once it is finished transferring everything and connect it to the original machine. Boot back into Vista, look under the folder you transferred it to and voila!

I know all this technical stuff might be a bit over your head but that's the only way to save your data if repairing or chkdsk doesn't work : )
+Quote Post
evade20
post May 27 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #28

Melon Master

QUOTE(laurainiaash @ May 27 2009, 09:40 AM)
Unfortunately in Vista you can't try what would be called a "2nd repair" like you can in XP. The best way to save all of your data/information would be to do like pay was telling you.

Connect your harddrive to a secondary machine and boot into windows. It would show your HD as another drive letter and normally you can access it and browse your files. You could then copy them all to another harddrive on that computer. For instance, create a new folder and transfer everything to it. Its time consuming sometimes, but effective. Then place the harddrive back inside the computer and reinstall Vista. Once Vista is correctly installed, take your harddrive back out and connect it to the secondary machine. Copy all of your data back to the original harddrive on a folder under the correct user name so you can find it later. Once again, take your harddrive out once it is finished transferring everything and connect it to the original machine. Boot back into Vista, look under the folder you transferred it to and voila!

I know all this technical stuff might be a bit over your head but that's the only way to save your data if repairing or chkdsk doesn't work :  )

Hot damn! Laura is a IT wizard as well as and awesome babe! Bravo! grinning-smiley-003.gif

--------------------
Ansel Adams

user posted image
user posted image

Pierre Elliott Trudeau
+Quote Post
jd ddd40
post May 31 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #29

Double D's

Looks like I'm going to have to try the swithing harddrive thing cause nothing else seems to work
+Quote Post
melonhead
post Jun 1 2009, 12:42 AM
Post #30

Training Bra

Member No.: 24,719

QUOTE(evade20 @ May 27 2009, 08:43 PM)
Hot damn!  Laura is a IT wizard as well as and awesome babe!  Bravo!  grinning-smiley-003.gif

Sorry to hear about your computer problems, I hope you come to an inexpensive solution.
+Quote Post

2 Pages  1 2 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 03:04 AM